Hi everyone, I’m currently en route to the US but wanted to get this post out there in case it’ll help anyone. When learning a new language, it can be difficult to find language partners with whom to practice — especially if you don’t live in a country where that language is spoken. Something I see on forums and on social media all the time is that people want to learn French (and vice versa for English) but don’t know any native speakers. So what do they do? They end up focusing on grammar and reading and writing instead. In a recent post, I stressed the importance of comprehension when learning a language so to that end, I’m hoping to match up a few of my readers out there who need a language partner.
Need a French/English language speaking partner? Let’s help each other out
The other day, two readers — one American and the other French — connected in the comments of a recent post because the American was moving back to the US and wanted to keep her French skills fresh after leaving France and the French woman wanted to work on her English. Yay, a match. So even though that happened naturally in the comments, I figured I’d dedicate a whole post to the topic in case anyone is interested. When I first started my blog, I had no idea that French people would even think anything here is interesting, so I’m thrilled (shocked!) to have a French audience as well. Merci!
First, a few things:
- I don’t know what kind of response this will get but I’m writing this in the hopes it will help a few of you. Language classes are expensive so let’s help each other.
- This isn’t a love connection service! If you’re looking for a romantic partner, this probably isn’t the place for you, so please don’t email me and be creepy. Although if you just happen to meet the love of your life, invite me to the wedding, OK?
- Don’t be shy. Please don’t think you need to work on your level before commenting below. Where you are right now is fine. Be proud of where you are!
- If you know of any French language sites I can share this post with, please get in touch. Right now we have an influx of English speakers (which was expected since this is an English language blog). I just don’t want to promote on anyone’s site where they are selling their services, since this is free and all. 😉
The basics (if I forgot anything, let me know):
- You’re a native English or French speaker looking for a language partner. It doesn’t matter if you’re 17 or 70. Everyone is welcome. This is entirely free of charge.
- You’re willing to speak your native language for 1/2 the time and then switch to the other language so you both get something out of it — and do so virtually either Skype/Gchat/Facetime/telephone since we’re not all in the same city.
- Feel free to introduce yourself in the comments but please do not put your email, last name, or phone number in the body of your comment (in the email box is fine since only I can see that). I will then pass it on to your match. Safety first!
- Be sure to mention if you’re a native French or English speaker, where in the world you live (general area is fine), age if you’re comfortable with that, and your level as well as when you’d be available to Skype/Gchat/Facetime, whatever.
Feel free to reply directly to each other in the comments and check back often. I’ll help any way I can, but I’m putting this out there for you to arrange. I’m counting on ya. Please share! 😉
Have a fantastic weekend. Hope the weather is nice wherever you are!