Everyone says that the USA is the land of opportunity… but not for everything! Here’s a list of things I can do in France that I can’t in the USA.
Things I can do in France that I can’t in the USA:
- Walk my small and well-behaved dog into a restaurant and dine with her under the table without anyone batting an eye. In many cases, the waiter will even bring her a bowl of water! (If waitstaff goes out of their way for your dog, definitely leave a small tip!) Dagny has eaten at outdoor cafes as well as Michelin-starred restaurants, and as long as your dog is quiet and calm, it’s rarely a problem.
- Go to an emergency veterinarian on a Sunday and leave with a bill that was only in the low 3 digits (for something that would be well over $1000 back home).
- Drink an open container of alcohol in plain view walking down the street without the fear of getting arrested. I have never attempted this since I like to get tipsy when I have the security of a chair and table to prop me up, but it’s 100% legal to drink on the street as long as you’re not sloppy, fall-down drunk.
- Get a perfectly decent bottle of wine at the grocery store for 3 euros. And get a wedge of Brie and a baguette for about the same amount.
- Join a gym without signing a lengthy legal waiver to protect them against lawsuits. Signing up for a gym membership was a quick and painless process. If I slip on the floor, it’s my problem — not theirs.
- Go to the doctor without filling out a clipboard full of paperwork beforehand. Healthcare in France is nothing like our system in the USA.
- Along with that, the ability to see a doctor without worrying about the bill. And have the doctor make a house call if you can’t get out of bed.
- Order a glass of wine at a work lunch without anyone batting an eye.
- Take off work for 3 weeks in the summer for vacation and still have a job to return to when you come back!
- Buy a Kinder Surprise Egg in the grocery store (they’re banned in the USA because they’re a choking hazard).
- Travel internationally by high-speed train.
- Drive on highways that don’t have potholes every 10 feet.
- Know the total price of your purchase upfront without having to do any math (the price you see on the ticket or menu is the price you pay).
- Go to Picard!
- Find mostly non-GMO produce in the supermarket.
- Find amazing baguettes everywhere!
- Graduate from university with no debt!