It’s a thrill to visit a place for the first time and all kinds of thoughts will run through your head. Here are 45 things an American will think when visiting France for the first time.
What Americans think when visiting France for the first time
I fell in love with France when I first visited as a bright-eyed and bushy-tailed high school student on a group tour and over time my love for France has grown even more. But what did I think when I first arrived? A whole lot.
Here are 45 things an American thinks when visiting France for the first time:
- Wow, the Eiffel Tower looks just like it does in pictures!
- All that French charm I heard about is real.
- Damn, baguettes are amazing! Gotta get another one later.
- Scratch that — this croissant is AMAZING. Gotta get another one now.
- That line out the door of the bakery is sooo long. What’s that, you say? They’re waiting to buy bread??
- There really are guys on bikes with baguettes (no berets though).
- The wine and cheese are way cheaper than I thought they’d be.
- Holy crap that’s a lot of yogurt! Look at all the choices and cute little containers!
- Parlez-vous anglais? Phew, you speak English.
- Nope, really, I don’t know any celebrities personally.
- Does everyone smoke?
- How many bisous do I do?
- Do they know what a pooper scooper is? Apparently not.
- Everyone eats dinner late here.
- Why is there an egg on my pizza?
- OK, it’s been 20 minutes since we finished eating and we’re still waiting for the bill. Oh, I have to ask for it? Or get up to pay? I’ll keep waiting.
- Everyone really does know their cheeses.
- Is there something on my face? Why are you staring at me?
- Parisians are pretty nice.
- Ahhh, how do I open the metro train’s door? Oh, there’s a button for that.
- All the guys rock colorful pants. And pretty sweet glasses.
- Yeah, we’re on the third floor. Why are you looking for me on the fourth?
- Does anyone do yoga here? No one is wearing gym clothes out in public.
- Is every car in this country a stick shift?
- Is parking on the sidewalk a thing?
- How much is that gas? Oh, that’s not too bad. Oh, that’s per liter? OMG.
- So how much is that in dollars…
- 22 degrees today. So in Fahrenheit that’s…
- You’re leaving on 2/1/2015. Wait, you mean February 1, 2015 or January 2, 2015?
- Awesome, McDonald’s looks super hip.
- There are a LOT of bakeries. And hair salons.
- Where’s the air conditioner? And where are the window screens?
- What time do we shut the volets?
- It’s 7 p.m. Do I say bonjour or bonsoir?
- How can I do anything at lunchtime if you’re closed midday?
- You’re closed again? Oh yeah, it’s Sunday.
- You’re still closed? But it’s now Monday.
- You’re closed already? It’s only 7 p.m.!
- You can’t get aspirin at the grocery store. That’s interesting…
- It’s 50 centimes to use the toilet. You’ve got to be kidding.
- And the sink is in another room?
- And what’s that second flush button for exactly?
- Whoa, what? You get HOW many weeks of vacation?
- Why’s the milk on a shelf and not in the fridge? Eggs too? Will I get sick?
- Wow, I love France!
What would you add? What did you think when visiting France for the first time?
Want more French culture? Read my big roundup of everything you need to know here.
All Things France link-up: