Howdy, mes amis. Let’s get into some Monday fun. I was encouraged by Ashley, one of my favorite healthy living bloggers, to write this post. Her answers over on A Lady Goes West are here. The Q&A is inspired by Vogue magazine’s 73-question online video series with celebrities. It’s been around for a couple of years and basically asks people 73 rapid-fire questions that can be asked and answered in under 10 minutes, in only one take.
But since this is a blog, I’m writing my answers out (with a few of my own questions subbed in) and hope that if you’re a blogger, you’ll join in and write a post with your answers. If you do, post a link in the comments so I can check it out!
73 Vogue questions: My answers
1. What’s your favorite time of day? I’m a morning person through and through and I love the very first hour of the day after I wake up. It’s peaceful, the stress of the day hasn’t taken over yet, and I feel most at peace early in the morning. I make my coffee and leisurely get myself ready for the day.
I HATE rushing. I then sit down with Dagny on the couch and have some time to check things out on my laptop before starting my workday.
2. What’s your biggest weakness? Here’s the short list. 😉 I am not always as patient as I should be with the people who matter. I will dwell on stupid things that do not matter. I tend to hold grudges and don’t forgive and forget. I forgive… and remember.
3. What’s your biggest strength? Always go out of my way to help people and stand up for them. Also, I’m pretty good at seeing things from another person’s point of view. Even if I don’t agree, I can usually understand why someone is acting the way they are.
4. What’s the biggest learning experience you’ve had? That you have to be good to people while you have them around because life is short. That most people have their own sh*t they’re dealing with and when people act weird or disappear from your life, it’s most often their issue, and not something you did wrong.
I think we learn from everything as we go through life. The good the bad, the things we do and don’t do. We can always learn something.
5. What makes you angry? Hmm, really, truly angry… animal abuse, for sure, all the injustice in the world. Politics sometimes. A lot of things fall into the medium to major annoyance category, though, like terrible friends, selfish people, people who scam others, pretentious people. I guess people make me angry haha.
6. What’s one vice you wish you could give up? I don’t know. I like my vices.
7. What are you most excited about these days? Well, for one, my family is coming next month so I’m super excited to visit with them and head south. It’s my aunt and uncle’s first time to France, so that should be cool. I’m also excited about making YouTube videos. I love pushing myself and learning to do video production and editing (even on my small scale) has been a blast!
8. What’s the best compliment you’ve ever received? That I’m a good friend. That meant a lot to me.
9. When are you the most inspired? Usually when I’m alone, with a clear, quiet head and can just observe what’s going on around me. Most of the time, this is outside in nature somewhere. Timewise, it’s never after 9 p.m. My brain shuts off then.
10. Sweet or savory? Sweet, but not too sweet. I like cookies and cake and ice cream but when it’s over-the-top sweet, I pass. The word for sickly sweet in French is écœurant and I hate everything that falls into that category.
11. What’s the priciest thing you’ve ever splurged on? In my early 20s after saving up, I treated myself to a Louis Vuitton bag. I still have it but it’s collecting dust somewhere. Things like that really aren’t important to me at this point.
12. What makes you smile the most? Probably seeing Dagny roll over onto her back for belly rubs every time Tom or I walk by. It means she’s happy and feeling good and that always makes me smile.
13. What’s one thing people don’t know about you? I don’t know? My husband is a twin. But that’s not about me. Hmmm… I have a brother. I’ve never seen Forrest Gump. My neighbors probably don’t know I work because they see me out with the dog during the day. I’m allergic to citrus. My family lives in Florida…
14. Heels or flats or sneakers? Sneakers because comfort is key, but I have to say I love these flats too.
15. What makes you feel the most like yourself? Getting my nails done, wearing comfortable clothes, being near a body of water to just relax with Tom and Dagny, and having a day ahead of me with no plans.
16. What are the three things you can’t live without? Peloton app (or workouts in general), support from my family and friends, my glasses.
17. Window or aisle seat? Window! I hate getting bumped by people and their bags as they walk by when you have an aisle seat. I like my cocoon by the window. Maybe one day I’ll fly business class. That’s probably the best of both worlds. I’m actually at the airport now… and I have a window seat!
18. What’s your current TV character obsession? I have to say Richard Madden in Bodyguard had me hooked.
19. Leather or lace? Leather although most recent purchases are vegan leather.
20. What’s the most adventurous thing you’ve done in your life? Moved to France, hands down. The first time by myself, the second after marrying Tom.
21. How would you define yourself in three words? Reliable. Self-aware. Hopeful.
22. What’s your current favorite piece of clothing that you own? Ahh, so hard to pick. Probably a pair of Athleta pants or an Everlane sweatshirt.
23. What’s a must-have clothing item everyone should own? Quality shoes. At least one pair that will last 5+ years.
24. What’s inspiring you in life right now? This comes and goes in waves. Sometimes I’m inspired by everything and other times I feel blah. Right now, it’s blah. I just got back from a very exhausting business trip with coworkers, so at the moment, I just want to chill and not be inspired.
Once something inspires me, it usually fuels action and that takes up brainpower and energy. Today will be full of a whole lot of nothing. Generally speaking, I’m inspired by people with a clear point of view, with conviction, who are driven and go after what they want.
25. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve received? That nothing worth doing is ever easy.
26. What’s your pet peeve? Hmmm, a few that come to mind: When people show up late and can never be on time, the phrase “do you want to come with?” It may be a regional thing but I feel like there’s always a “me” or “us” missing at the end. “Do you want to come with me” sounds good. And nail biters. Stop that!
27. Diamonds or pearls? Diamonds. Although I’m a minimalist when it comes to jewelry. I don’t even wear my wedding ring.
28. What’s something you notice about someone when you first meet them? Eyes, skin and hands.
29. What’s your biggest regret? I try to not think about things in terms of regret because it serves no purpose, but if I have to answer, I probably should have studied French in college and done a semester abroad. I felt too connected to NYC after 9/11 and didn’t want to leave.
But in retrospect, if I knew then that I’d be living in France in the future, it would have been a smart idea. I also should have gone out more in my early 20s.
30. What’s heavily played on your music playlist right now? These days, I mostly listen to podcasts when I’m out and about, not music. If I’m exercising, I like upbeat pop. 😉
31. What’s your favorite board game? It’s not a board game, but Apples to Apples is fun.
32. What’s your guilty pleasure? OK, this will sound weird but some esthetician/dermatology YouTube channels that focus on cleaning the skin are really relaxing. Set to classical music.
33. What book did you most recently finish? Allllllmost done with Mark Manson’s The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck.
34. What makes you feel accomplished? Helping others. Feeling organized and mentally calm. Lists help. Checking things off my list makes me feel like I’ve accomplished something. When people around me are happy and I contributed to it. Finishing a project.
35. How do you start your day? Early. With coffee. In front of my computer.
36. What’s your favorite holiday? Christmas! I love winter and my birthday is New Year’s Eve, so the whole season is extra special.
37. Are you more into looks or brains? Well, there has to be some level of physical attraction and while someone’s looks may draw you in, their heart makes you stay. 😉
38. If you could switch lives with one person for a day who would it be? Not sure if I could name a specific person, but I’d probably switch with someone who is the exact opposite of me in every sense, just so I could walk a day in someone else’s shoes and gain an appreciation and understanding of their point of view. So maybe a male, much older, born in a different time period, maybe a different race. I’d want to experience life through their eyes.
39. What’s one thing you’ve always wanted to try but you’ve been too scared to do? Skydive? I don’t know. I would do it if the opportunity presented itself. I’ve just never really sought it out, you know?
40. What’s the one thing you wish you knew at age 19? That life goes on and there’s no point in getting all worked up. Little things, as well as people’s opinions, don’t matter as much as we think.
42. If you were not living in France, where would you be living? I’d probably still be in NYC or with my family down in Florida.
43. If you are in a bad mood, do you prefer to be left alone or have someone to cheer you up? If it’s really bad, it’s best to leave me alone until I can get over it a bit, otherwise I’ll bring you down.
44. Where was the best vacation you’ve ever taken? It’s too hard to say! Tom and I had a great time in Croatia back in 2010 and a family trip to Corsica stands out too.
45. What’s one city you’ve always dreamed of traveling to? Anywhere in Iceland!
46. What’s something you always travel with? Computer.
47. Favorite food? I really like a well-done pizza. Thin crust with pepperoni and veggies.
49. Favorite snack? I like pretzels.
50. What’s a movie that made you cry? I try to avoid those. Life can be so serious and sad, so when I go to the movies, I try to pick the ones that leave me feeling good at the end. I was mad after A Star is Born for weeks. No spoilers, but yeah, I had no idea.
51. Are you confrontational? If necessary, yes! If people are behaving badly, I’m going to speak up.
52. What’s the one talent you wish you had? Being able to play a piano beautifully would be awesome. I’ve always wanted to be the person who busts out some classical tunes at the train station where they have those pianos just there to play. I stopped taking lessons in high school.
53. What’s your favorite exercise? I love working shoulders.
54. What’s your favorite band? I used to be really, really into music back in NYC. I’d go to concerts all the time and there was no shortage of them. Radiohead is one of my faves.
55. What’s a superpower you wish you had? Being able to speak any language fluently, like on command. It would come in handy when traveling.
56. What’s something you don’t want to be doing in 10 years? Worrying as much.
57. What’s the cutest thing on planet earth? Puppies.
58. What’s the best thing that happened this year? My YouTube channel started taking off and it was really validating and meaningful to me when a video I did at a French bakery went viral.
59. What’s your favorite cocktail? I have to be careful because I have a citrus allergy, so these days, I usually just get wine when out. Back in the day, gin and tonics were awesome and I love amaretto sours.
60. Which movie makes you laugh the hardest? OK, I almost pissed myself watching Bad Grandpa (with Johnny Knoxville, not to be confused with Dirty Grandpa, with Robert De Niro, although funny too)
61. What do you usually eat for dinner? I’m not fancy in the kitchen, at all. When I cook, it’s simple. Some type of fish or meat, vegetables (usually zucchini or string beans), and maybe rice or quinoa. I wish I had more patience and drive for being creative in the kitchen.
62. Do you believe in second chances? Yes, absolutely. No one is perfect. But there’s a limit. Third and fourth chances get a little ridiculous.
63. What is your idea of a perfect vacation? One where a bit of downtime is built in. I hate being busy 24/7 but just sitting around isn’t fun either. A vacation with a bit of structure is perfect, but when you’re scheduled to do something or be somewhere every single hour, it becomes overbearing.
64. What’s your favorite thing in the world? Probably my dog, Dagny, and that scares me to death because I know she won’t live forever.
65. What’s your favorite color? Yellow.
66. What color clothing do you wear most? Black.
67. What are three words to describe living in France? Challenging, beautiful, normal.
68. Do you like surprises? The good kind, yes. If it’s in good fun, sure.
69. What’s one thing you had to learn the hard way? That a lot of people you think are worth your time are not and sometimes it’s better to hold your tongue.
70. What’s something you’re tired of? Feeling overwhelmed. All. The. Time.
71. Who do you turn to when you’re sad? Tom and my friends and family.
72. What’s a trend you would like to see disappear forever? Chunky sneakers on people wearing them for fashion and platform sneakers (with the hidden heel). I see both all the time. But really, you do you.
73. What did you want to do with your life at age 12? I wanted to be a veterinarian at one point but then I realized I could never deal with the reality of the job on an emotional level.
Thanks for reading my Vogue 73 questions challenge answers!!