No matter where we live or what we do, life needs a little bit of adventure. No one likes mundane routines day after day. But what does adventure mean to you? Maybe it includes living abroad, traveling, taking risks, or just trying new things in general. If you feel like you’re lacking inspiration and perspective, these 9 quotes about adventure and living abroad are sure to help you out, so read on!
Quotes about adventure and living abroad
Have you ever read a quote that shifted your perspective in the best way possible? Or given you hope or motivation to go after what you want?
I hope these adventure quotes do exactly that for you. There’s no shortage of quotes about adventure and living abroad out there and I’ve picked out a few of my faves to share with you.
Sometimes the simplest quote can make the biggest difference in our mindset and mood. I know that’s the case for me. You know the ones I mean that you see on Pinterest and can’t help but repin. They’re just soooo good. A simple shift or reframing of our mindset is a good thing to do every once in a while, so have a read, repin these quotes about adventure I found around the web, or maybe even print one out to put on your wall.
1. “Travel early and travel often. Live abroad, if you can. Understand cultures other than your own. As your understanding of other cultures increases, your understanding of yourself and your own culture will increase exponentially.” -Tom Freston
2. “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma, which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.” -Steve Jobs
3. “Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” -Howard Thurman
4. “People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost.” -Dalai Lama XIV
5. “Life might be difficult for a while, but I would tough it out because living in a foreign country is one of those things that everyone should try at least once. My understanding was that it completed a person, sanding down the rough provincial edges and transforming you into a citizen of the world. What I found appealing in life abroad was the inevitable sense of helplessness it would inspire. Equally exciting would be the work involved in overcoming that helplessness. There would be a goal involved, and I liked having goals.” -David Sedaris, “Me Talk Pretty One Day”
6. “Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires courage.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
7. “Our homes are not defined by geography or one particular location, but by memories, events, people, and places that span the globe.” -Marilyn Gardner
8. “Clarity comes from action, not thought.” –Marie Forleo
9. “I can’t think of anything that excites a greater sense of childlike wonder than to be in a country where you are ignorant of almost everything. Suddenly you are five years old again. You can’t read anything, you have only the most rudimentary sense of how things work, you can’t even reliably cross a street without endangering your life. Your whole existence becomes a series of interesting guesses.” -Bill Bryson
What are your favorite quotes about adventure and living abroad? Did any of the adventure quotes above ring true for you?